Teeth can shift and change over time for several reasons, even if you’ve had an orthodontic treatment done in the past. If you’ve been considering retreatment as an adult, it’s essential to understand what that means and the options available to you.
Mahlmann & Borders Orthodontics offers a variety of options for adults, depending on your individual needs. Let’s look at some of the most common causes of relapse, as well as what solutions can do for you.
Orthodontic Relapse: What causes it?
Orthodontic relapse occurs when teeth that have been straightened shift back to their original position. Over time, a variety of factors can contribute to this shift, including:
- Genetics and age-related changes: teeth naturally shift over time as people age, and genetics can affect how much shifting occurs.
- Oral habits (like grinding or clenching your teeth): these habits can contribute to orthodontic relapse, as they put extra pressure on the teeth and cause them to shift back.
- The shape and size of your jawbone: changes in the shape and size of the jawbone can affect how teeth fit together, causing them to shift.
- Tooth loss: when teeth are missing, the surrounding teeth can migrate toward the gap.
What are the benefits of adult retreatment?
Aside from helping you regain your smile, orthodontic retreatment can help you improve your oral health. Shifting your teeth back into their correct alignment can help you with your bite and jaw structure, which also helps prevent other oral health issues, such as enamel wear and tooth decay.
Dr. Mahlmann or Dr. Borders will work with you to create a customized plan that considers your unique needs. During your consultation, they will diagnose your oral health using X-rays and digital imaging and provide you with different options to restore your pearly whites!
What treatment options are available to me?
Mahlmann & Borders Orthodontics offers a variety of options for adults, depending on the cause of your orthodontic relapse. Our solutions include:
- Metal Braces: Braces are a tried-and-true orthodontic treatment that uses brackets, wires, and/or rubber bands to straighten teeth.
- Ceramic Braces: We also offer clear (ceramic) braces for anyone who prefers a more subtle appliance. Depending on the severity of your orthodontic relapse, Drs. Malhmann and Borders can recommend the type of braces that will work best for you.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® is an innovative orthodontic treatment that uses a series of clear trays to straighten teeth. The trays are custom-made to fit your mouth and can be adjusted as needed.
- Retainers: Retainers are designed to hold teeth in place after braces or Invisalign® have been removed. A retainer is a great way to maintain your new, beautiful smile for years to come.
Restore your smile with Dr. Mahlmann & Dr. Borders
We understand that orthodontic retreatment can seem daunting, and we are here to help you find the right solution for your individual needs. Our experienced team will work with you to create a custom plan that will help you restore your smile and get back on track with your oral health.
To learn more about adult retreatment and to schedule your consultation, contact Mahlmann & Borders Orthodontics today. We look forward to helping you get the smile you deserve!