Meet Your Richmond Orthodontist
Creating beautiful smiles, beautiful faces, and helping people change and improve their lives is a passion of Dr. Lee Mahlmann’s. That is why he chose to be an orthodontist.
He knows how a beautiful smile opens many doors in a person’s life by making them more confident and outgoing and helping their self-esteem. He has learned through many years of practice that it takes a team effort to achieve a goal of a great smile. He has created an environment that brings everyone together as a team with a common goal.
The resulting smiles are truly helping patients become all they can be.
Dr. Catharine Borders knows that a smile from a loved one, friend or complete stranger can brighten someone’s day. She chose to become an orthodontist to create beautiful smiles for her patients that will give them the confidence and self-esteem to smile and brighten the day of those around them.
She earned her Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry with a concentration in biochemistry from the University of Louisville. She graduated valedictorian from the University of Louisville School of Dentistry, where she received her Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree. After dental school, she attended residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Dentistry, receiving her certificate in orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics and Master of Science in dentistry. Dr. Borders served as chief resident during her residency and currently serves as a part-time professor of orthodontics at UT-Houston dental school.
Dr. Borders is a board-certified orthodontist.
Why an Orthodontist in Richmond?
Orthodontist vs. Dentist
An orthodontist is a dentist, but a dentist is not an Orthodontist. All orthodontists are dentists first, but though not every dentist has the qualifications to be an orthodontist. Our doctors continued their formal education for 2 or 3 additional years before receiving the necessary license and certification. As orthodontists, they have spent years studying nothing but how and why to move teeth. This includes what to do, how to plan, and how to execute the appropriate treatment plan.
Why does it matter if you see your Richmond Orthodontist?
Specialists receive additional training to give them the skills needed to deal with more complex orthodontic problems. Dentists receive basic orthodontic training which allows them to perform root canals, extract wisdom teeth, and treat young children who do not need to see an orthodontist yet.
Seeing a specialist like your Richmond orthodontist may change your experience in braces by:
- Providing additional treatment options.
- Giving you more efficient treatment and visits, because it is the office's primary area of care.
- Knowing that you'll receive the best possible outcome on your treatment plan, especially if you have severe bite problems that need to be addressed.
- Personal experience treating multiple cases that share your unique concerns
- Being seen more quickly, as a family dentist will be focused on longer patient cases or emergencies throughout the day.
- You may think it's easier to have your orthodontic work completed by your dentist. Convenience shouldn't be a concern, because you will only be stopping by your Richmond orthodontist's offices every six to eight weeks.
And don't let price be a problem either! Mahlmann & Borders Orthodontics is proud to provide affordable treatment in the Richmond area.